We hear so much about how important it is to create the right culture within an organisation. I prefer to refer to it as the organisational spirit. A bit like the wind you can feel it but you can’t see it – there is however, no doubt, that it’s there! I believe that the spirit of any organisation can either attract or repel – customers, good staff, suppliers, partners and other stakeholders. It is so obvious when you walk into a company that has great spirit – its fun, a great place to be and the environment is conducive to innovation, progression and success.
Creating the right spirit is down to the leader and founders. It is not easy to achieve, in fact in really hard, to create a great spirit – but when you get it right, it helps your organisation to progress – at the coalface selling is made far easier. Customers love to buy from organisations they like or admire. The spirit is created through:
1. Embedding values that everyone buys into
2. Having a cause and a purpose that brings value to the customers and stakeholders being served
3. An environment that encourages ongoing learning and personal development
4. Applying innovation across all functions and processes
5. Allowing everyone to be heard and respecting everyone’s views
6.Positive talk and outlook
7.Having a laugh – dont take life too seriously – fun is so important
Get the spirit right and you just attract positive stuff – when staff are happy they treat and look after customers in the right way. This has a profound impact on business performance and growth.