I spoke at the Business Conference for Childcare Providers this morning – it was a fantastic group. The audience comprised a mix of private sector, social enterprise and volunteer groups. One thing that struck me was the passion and enthusiasm and giving nature of the people who turned up. They were individuals with a passion for what they do – a soul and purpose which focused on looking after children.
The theme was leadership in a changing economic environment, my messages revolved around the 10 principles of getting it right:
- Changing times need a change of mindset
- Create the right mental imprints with stakeholders and staff
- Be future focused
- Performance measurement & monitoring is vital
- Build a great team
- Put a credo in place
- Live in the “customers” world
- Gain the edge through innovation & creativity
- Great leaders have a mentor
- Practice the 4C’s (Condition, Coach, Communicate, Conform)
It confirmed my belief that businesses with a higher purpose have a greater chance of success. Many of us are searching for meaning in life and a sense of belonging. When we translate this quest into a commercial idea and balance it with good business practice then the results are amazing. Moreover, a business with a cause deals with the harder times much easier than those that don’t. Its so easy to pack up when things get tough – I feel that those companies with a soul and purpose have a greater chance of success!